Sunday, November 7, 2021

Ranking Cathdrals, Part 1.

I'm going to start with three Church of Scotland buildings that are not technically Cathedrals, but were historically cathedrals before the Reformation.  None of these were ever ranked in the best Cathedral lists I collated together, and it will be pretty obvious why.

photo credit: Otter under the Gnu Free Document License

 

First, up is St Moluag's Cathedral, on the island Lismore.  St Moluag's is a Church of Scotland congregation, so not technically a cathedral. As you can see it's a pretty modest building.  St Moluag's was the seat of the medieval Diocese of Argyll, which was Scotland's poorest diocese, so St Moluag's was modest to begin with.  All that survives now is the choir, and that in heavily modified form.  There are a few medieval features remaining, mainly doorways, and  few medieval gravestone left in the church yard and in the church itself.

All in all, there's not much here to attract me.  If I were in the neighborhood it might be a way to kill a half hour or so, but unless there's something else on Lismore to attract, me I don't see myself visiting there.

That said, since this is the first cathedral to be rated, it goes to #1.

 The list as it stands is

1.  St Moluag's Cathedral, Lismore.

Next Cathedral in the next post.


No comments: