Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The irony of the internet.

On my music blog, I posted about a couple songs on shipwrecks, specifically "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot and the "The Sinking of the Reuben James" by Woody Guthrie. In light of the "What were their names, What were their names" chorus of the "Reuben James", I initially wanted to include list of the names of the men lost on both ships. However, a Google search failed to turn a list of the names of the men lost on the Reuben James, but it did turn up a list of the names of the men on U-Boat 552, the German submarine that sank the USS Reuben James.

2 comments:

Mike Looney said...

Your google fu is weak grasshoper.

Here is the list One link off the 5th hit for 'USS Reuben James'

It's also to be found on the current USS Reuben James' (FFG-57) web site, in the history section. This page, of course IS THE FIRST FREAKING HIT in Google. What is it about my siblings and their lack of Google fu?

Dafydd said...

OK, I found the site for the current USS Reuben James but didn't think that "Memo from Receiving Ship After the Sinking December 5, 1941" indicated a casualty list. I searched ""Reuben James" crew names". No USS, I should know better. Thank you.